The summer heat can be brutal. If you don’t have air conditioning, it can be hard to cool down. When you suffer from vein issues like varicose or spider veins, the heat can make your symptoms worse. Your legs may swell and ache more. It can be hard to find relief, especially if you usually wear compression stockings to ease your symptoms. Compression stockings will make you feel even hotter.
If you aren’t able to beat the heat in some fresh air conditioning, try a few of these suggestions to cool your body off naturally. They may not be as effective, but it’s better than nothing!
- Drink plenty of water. Insufficient hydration not only makes you hotter, but it can also lead to sunstroke (if you are outdoors) or dehydration. Both of these conditions can be dangerous if left untreated. Try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water each day. Cool it off with ice cubes for refreshing relief. If you struggle to drink water, try infusing your water with fruit or herbs. Here are some great recipes to try!
- Eat plenty of fresh food. Plant-based foods contain more water than processed foods, so eating fresh fruit and vegetables will help cool you down. Some fruits like watermelon even help keep you hydrated. Avoid spicy foods. They’ll just make you feel hotter!
- Wear loose clothing (and less of it). Tight clothing keeps all your body heat trapped. Avoid tight, synthetic fabrics. Instead, opt for breathable, natural fabrics like cotton or linen. Don’t be afraid to show some skin, either. The less you wear, the cooler you will feel. If you’re nervous about showing your legs off in the summer heat, our vein treatments can remove unsightly vein clusters so you’ll feel confident in your skin.
- Change your workout routine. Avoiding the heat during the hottest part of the day is a great way to cool down. Avoid hanging outside or exercising during mid-day, instead opt for early morning or late evening outdoor workouts when the sun isn’t so high in the sky.
- Go swimming. There is nothing as refreshing as jumping into the water on a hot summer day. It’s the perfect way to cool off. Get your suit on and head to your nearest swimming hole. Your body will thank you.
The symptoms of vein disorders are often worse in the heat. That’s why it’s a great idea to book your treatments now. Recovery takes only a few days, and you’ll feel relief from your symptoms right away. You’ll be so happy with your results that you’ll want to show off your beautiful legs! Book an appointment today.