Going to the beach is a summertime tradition, but if you’ve been skipping this annual event because of your vein health issues, we can help. Living with varicose, spider veins, or venous insufficiency isn’t easy. It can make a simple beach day a horrible experience. The summer heat can make your symptoms worse, but there are some preventative steps you can take so you can still enjoy your day at the beach.
Our first recommendation is to seek vein treatment at our clinic. The tips and tricks we provide can temporarily help relieve your symptoms, but the only thing that can help you live a life free of leg pain, swelling, and other vein health symptoms is treatment. Summer is coming quickly, so start your treatment plan if you are serious about going to the beach this year!
If you aren’t yet ready for treatment, or wouldn’t complete your treatment in time for your beach day, here are some tips to make the day more enjoyable.
- Hydrate! Drink plenty of water before, during, and after your trip to the beach. Avoid caffeinated drinks or liquor (or drink in moderation). The more fluids you have in your system, the better your blood will flow!
- Wear your compression stockings on your ride to the beach. If your favorite beach is a little further away, wear your compression stockings during the drive. Compression stockings are a great way to relieve varicose or spider vein symptoms temporarily. If you wear them before you get to the beach, your legs will be in better shape!
- Stay cool, and get in the water! Stay out of the midday sun and in the shade (pack an umbrella) to keep yourself cool. Going for a swim instead of lying on the hot, sandy beach will help you feel better during the day (plus, no one really sees your legs in the water!).
- Bring a loose covering. If you feel nervous about others seeing your varicose or spider veins, buy yourself a chic, lightweight swimsuit covering. There are plenty of options to give you a little coverage without causing you to overheat!
- Wear supportive sandals. Walking around barefoot in the sand feels lovely, but it could cause swelling and leg pain if you have vein health symptoms. Invest in some supportive sandals for your beach day so you can still feel the sand between your toes!
We firmly believe that your vein health issues shouldn’t hold you back from living your life. That’s why we recommend treatment so you can live pain-free. But vein treatment does take time, and you deserve to enjoy life even with venous insufficiency symptoms. So follow these tips so you can enjoy a day on the beach!